Fuel Efficiency

First Evaluation of Effects from Thailand’s Fuel Economy Label ‘Ecosticker’ Now Available

July 2018, Thailand — As of June 2016, Thailand had a total of 37.1 million registered vehicles. Thereof, 20.5 million (55.3%) are motorcycles. The remaining 16.6 million non-motorcycle vehicles (44.7%) are dominated by eight million (21.6%) passenger cars and 6.2 million (or 16.8%) vans & pickups.

This has significant implications, particularly for GHG emissions and energy demand. Because of this, since 2016, OTP and the ASEAN-German technical cooperation Transport and Climate Change Project (TCC) have closely worked together on moving forward fuel economy policy and also conducted a study on “Fuel Efficiency Policy in the Land Transport Sector in Thailand”.

Throughout the course of this study, various discussions, interviews, meetings and expert workshops were held jointly with related governmental authorities, to raise the issue of effective fuel economy policy development among stakeholders. The study is separated into two reports. This first report now available contains initial data and analytical results on average fuel consumption of passenger light duty vehicles and motorcycles as well as a gap analysis on the current status of fuel efficiency policy in Thailand. The second report is underway assessing cost-benefit analysis for FE policy improvement proposals and will be available end of 2018.

You can download the report “Thailand Fuel efficiency policy in the land transport sector in Thailand: Data, policy and analysis” and “Infographic” here. A Thai version of both reports will be launched in 2018 as well.